He who conquers the left side

musings from someone that likes to use the word musings.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

getting into work

So I was late to work today, and I met this girl from Binghamton who is interning at the city. Thing is, she didn't appear to be late to work. My sister's friend interns in the city too, she takes the 7:53 am train out of Oakdale.

My point is, we all get into work about 10:00. What happened to 9:00 to 5:00? I remember my old job I had to get in at 8:00 every day, which meant that I was up at 7:00 and out at 7:45 (oddly enough I still have to get up around that time). And I was LATE most of the time! I knew people that would get in much earlier. Here I transcribed an interaction between a co-worker Jeff and me.

Jeff: I can't wait till our boss starts letting us make our own hours.
Me: Yeah man, I know, this schedule is so different from school.
Jeff: I'll start coming in at 6 and leaving at 3.
Me: (startled look of disbelief) What? I can't wait till I can get to work late!
Jeff: Yeah, well gotta get home to spend time with the kids and all.

Working upstate was so different. Everyone went hunting, and played horseshoes, and drove pickup trucks. And they loved getting up in the morning. They cared so much about their families and the additions to their houses, and how green their lawns were. I'm so lucky to have landed this position with Red Hat in NYC, I don't think I could have made it another year working in that sort of environment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home